



Well, we didn't get our wish. At 6am, the temperature was a bitter 29 degrees and there was a freezing wind blowing off the ocean to our start. It was going to be a cold windy run! A few minutes before the race, we all got into our team race shirts (made by me). And at 8am, The Irish Drinking Team set off for a 26.2 mile run along the coast of Virginia Beach. The course went through 2 military bases and by the oldest lighthouse in America. We were lucky enough to see Billy twice throughout the race when the course doubled back on itself. Chad ran with me the entire time. We even drank some beer at mile 20 and mile 25 water/beer stops! :) Who can say they drank beer during a marathon? The race was tough! A real gut check... but by consistently putting one foot in front of the other through pain while every ounce of my body said stop, I found myself at the finish with a tear in my eye and Chad holding my hand! My brother (Mr. Quick) had been waiting a while for us to finish! And when we were finally all together, we shared hugs and beers while on that natural high. Finishing a marathon is your soul's way of saying... "I can do anything I put my mind to."
I keep getting the question, will I run another marathon as this one was quite painful on my right knee? My answer is this... As long as I have life, I have hope!
XOXO... Thanks my friends and family for your love and support! Thank you Billy for encouraging me to do another one and sharing a wonderful weekend with me. Thank you Chad for never leaving my side... I share the glory of this finishers medal with you! Your support carried me at a time when I couldn't carry myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment